Okay, so here’s the deal.
I cannot confine a decade’s worth of favorites to one simple list — my entire being revolts at the thought. I am also uninterested in inducing a biblio-anxiety by attempting to do so!
So instead, I decided to create a series of short lists of my hands down, all-out favorites that I first read between January 1, 2010, and December 31, 2019. Whether or not they were published between those two dates is entirely incidental.
(Though I did make a separate list for those titles. See below.)
List numero uno: Faves published & read between the aforementioned dates –
- The Rook – Daniel O’Malley
- Ready Player One – Ernest Cline
- Written In Red – Anne Bishop
This was a close call but ultimately I chose The Rook because Ms. Thomas helped save herself while fending off some purple spores and rescued a possibly omniscient bunny!
List 2: Entire Contemporary Series I Burned Thru, Still Reread and Love –
- Aunt Dimity – Nancy Atherton
- The Parasol Protectorate (and that entire Universe) – Gail Carriger
- Mrs. Pollifax – Dorothy Gilman
- Mercy Thompson – Patricia Briggs
- Chicagoland Vampires – Chloe Neill
- Mrs. Malory – Hazel Holt
#3 – Agatha Christie: She deserves a list all to herself otherwise, she’d whoop everyone else! Can you believe my year with her was all the way back in 2014?
- Nemesis – Miss Marple
- Pale Horse – Ariadne Oliver (tangentially)
- Endless Night
- Cards At The Table – Oliver, Poirot, Race & Battle
- The Moving Finger – Miss Marple
- A Murder Is Announced – Miss Marple
- The Murder of Roger Ackroyd – Hercule Poirot
- Murder Is Easy – Mr. Harley Quin & Superintendent Battle
- Man In A Brown Suit – Colonel Race
- By The Pricking of My Thumbs – Tommy & Tuppence
**And Then There Was None is a masterpiece of suspense. So to give her other books a chance, I left it off! I also left off The Sleeping Murder as I’d read it well before this last decade!
4) Golden Age Favorites: Now, I loved all the books these authors wrote. However, these are my particular favorites within their series –
- Somewhere in the House – Elizabeth Daly
- Murder For Christmas – Francis Duncan
- Death In The Stocks – Georgette Heyer
List No. 5: My Favorite Historical Series I Devoured As Fast as I Found Them –
- Amelia Peabody – Elizabeth Peters
- Her Royal Spyness – Rhys Bowen
- Lady Julia Grey – Deanna Raybourn
- Amory Ames – Ashley Weaver
List Number Six: Favorite Short Story Collections –
- Mr. Harley Quin – Agatha Christie
- The Black Widowers – Issac Asimov
- Sherlock Holmes – Doyle
- The Teahouse Detective – Baroness Orczy
Last But Not Least: My favorite YA/Kids books –
- The Last Dragon Slayer – Jasper Fforde
- Tokyo Heist – Diana Renn
- Goldenhand – Garth Nix
- Steelheart – Brandon Sanderson
And even with all the books I’ve listed on here, I still feel like I’ve missed a few….sigh….And its also readily apparent I tend towards a certain flavor of mystery – and I’m all right with that!
Don’t forget you still have time to catch up on my other blog Finder of Lost Things before series two starts in a couple months!